Cool Plumbing Tips From Modern Process Plumbing
- Never pour fats or cooking oils down drains. They solidify in pipes. Instead, wipe grease from pots with paper towels and throw in trash.
- Run hot water down the sinks. This will keep the water flowing.
- Add strainers to drains to catch hair and soap.
- Fix leaking faucets as they could be dripping gallons of water a day.
- Caulk around the tub to prevent splash damages.
- Make sure the disposal is running when you put food into it. Don’t wait until it’s full to turn it on.
- Avoid putting stringy, fibrous or starchy waste in the garbage disposal. Poultry skins, celery, fruit and potato peels, for example, cannot be sufficiently broken down.
- Keep fibers out of the disposal.
- Keep silver out of the disposal.
- Never put your hand in the unit to fetch any thing.
- Use a broom handle to turn the blades when the unit is off to fix jams.
- Shred a whole lemon to remove odors from the unit.
- Half a cup of baking soda, whole cup of vinegar. Wash it down the drain after it bubbles, and clear up your sink!
- Tie a bag of vinegar around a shower head and leave it over night. The vinegar will remove the rust and lime from the shower.